Sea Island Salad is very appealing for a couple of reasons. It is a delicious, colorful salad and since it contains shrimp, it's elevated a couple of notches above the usual run-of-the-mill cold pasta salad. This recipe is good to make a day ahead to let the flavors really blend, plus it keeps you from stressing out over cooking the day you are having company or taking this dish to a potluck or buffet. I made it for a large group of friends at the Lake one year and they all loved it, as do I ..... my very favorite 'go-to' cold salad when I want to do something special.
Sea Island Salad
(Elizabeth Smith)
Ingredients:
1 (8 oz.) box macaroni (creamettes or shells)
*1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
*1/2 cup sour cream
*2/3 tsp. sugar (use more if needed - I've never had to add more)
*1/2 tsp celery salt
*black pepper if desired
1 (7 oz.) can tuna, drained well (use 2 cans if desired - I always do!)
1 (17 oz.) can of small green peas, drained
3/4 cup diced cheddar cheese (mild)
1 Tablespoon diced pimentos
8 oz. package cooked shrimp (if frozen, thaw as directed)
1/2 cup diced celery
2 Tablespoons minced green peppers
Directions:
Cook macaroni.
Stir in all ingredients except (*) items: seasonings, sour cream, mayonnaise which are to be mixed & poured over the salad last.
Mix by folding lightly.
Chill well before serving.
Keeps 2-3 days.
Helpful hint #1:
Do all of your chopping, dicing & draining ahead of time so you are ready to combine ingredients when the macaroni is cooked. I always dice everything fairly small & try to keep the sizes uniform - makes for a prettier salad.
Helpful hint #2:
In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients marked with an asterisk (*) which makes the 'sauce' and let the sauce chill in the fridge until ready to add to the salad.
Helpful hint #3:
Serve in a really beautiful or unusual dish & knock their socks off!!
No comments:
Post a Comment