Saturday, April 28, 2012

It's Just Apples Darlin' (Rum) Cake

This recipe came from a friend of mom's and is just the best thing ..... it's probably my very favorite cake recipe although Marian Morash's carrot cake (The Victory Garden Cookbook) is a close second. The recipe originally called for a tube pan, but a Bundt pan is the only pan I had so that is what I used. Without the apples, this recipe is very close to a basic rum cake recipe posted by The Pioneer Woman .... and an old recipe from our Trinity Church cookbook (so what I'm saying here is I think the apples could be optional if you don't feel like doing all the chopping).

Back in 'the day', in one department where I worked, we made birthday cakes for our co-workers & this was the cake one of the guys wanted every time .... in fact, I always made him two - one for everyone to eat and one for him to take home. 

IT'S JUST APPLES DARLIN' (RUM) CAKE
(Alice Lynn) 


Pre-heat oven at 325°

Grease and flour a Bundt pan well

Nuts - sprinkle in bottom of Bundt pan:
1 cup of pecans or almonds, chopped fine or grated in blender.

Apples - mix together & set aside:
4-5 large cooking apples - peel & slice 1/4 - 1/8 in. thin

3 teaspoons cinnamon

7 teaspoons brown sugar

5 teaspoons heavy cream

fresh nutmeg (grated over all apples)

Cake batter - mix together following ingredients about 1 minute:
1 box yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines or pound cake mix)

1 (3½ - 3¾ oz.) package instant vanilla pudding mix

4 whole eggs

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup rum (dark rum is best)

1/2 cup cold water

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

ASSEMBLE:
Pour a little batter in the Bundt pan - about 1/2 inch

Layer 1/2 apple mixture over batter.

Pour rest of batter over apple layer.

Layer the remaining apple mixture over the batter.

BAKE:
For 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes at 325°

Cool cake and glaze

Glaze:
1/2 stick margarine

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup rum

Melt together in a small pan and simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Drizzle over cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment