Monday, January 20, 2014

Broccoli Salad Supreme



Broccoli Salad Supreme


We attended a Christmas concert December 1 that was followed by a family get-together potluck. The concert, by the way, was a wonderful way to start of the Christmas holiday season.  This recipe is cold which makes transporting easy and it serves 20. For transporting and serving, a crockpot liner/top is very convenient. The recipe can be downsized by dividing it in half .... most of the ingredients are easily divisible by two.

During the potluck, my brother told me this recipe "is a keeper" .... high praise indeed. At a potluck this past weekend, I had several inquiries as to ingredients and where to find the recipe, plus comments that it was  "delicious". The recipe is five-star rated on Taste of Home, also a sign of "success".

There are many similar recipes you can 'google' that have most of the ingredients in this particular recipe or some variation, but this is the one I settled on because I liked that it was scaled for 20 servings and I especially like the flavor and color combinations. The specific ingredients in this recipe are:

Broccoli florets
Grapes - red make the nicer color contrast/presentation
Bacon
Green onion (scallions)
Celery
Slivered Almonds
Mayonnaise (Hellman's works well)
Apple cider vinegar
Sugar

The link to the actual recipe is HERE. (Taste of Home: Broccoli Salad Supreme)

Cooks Notes:
  • I've made this a day ahead both times I've made it. There is washing, chopping, frying of bacon, toasting almonds, etc. The broccoli florets keep for a couple of days in a gallon zip-loc. The onions/celery are together in a plastic container. The bacon was wrapped in paper towels in a zip loc and the dressing was in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. The "day of", just mix it all together in a large bowl.
  • The dressing is best not made at the last minute since the sugar needs time to dissolve, otherwise you get a 'grainy' texture. Overnight is fine and I suspect just an hour or two plus a couple of good stirrings in between would work as well.
  • The amount of sugar (2/3 cup) was excessive to me since there are very sweet grapes also in the recipe. I cut the sugar in half to 1/3 cup and the sweetness seemed to be at a good level.

From the enthusiastic reception that Broccoli Salad Supreme has received thus far, it's quickly becoming a 'mainstay' in my recipe book for future potlucks and gatherings.  :-)



(Photo: Merlot)






No comments:

Post a Comment