I was house-sitting for my friend Claudia in 2010 and looking through a magazine on her coffee table when I spied this recipe. What struck me, besides the fact it had ginger in it (I love ginger), was the short list of ingredients and the simplicity of the directions. I scribbled down the bare essentials on a tiny scrap piece of paper in my pocketbook and somehow managed not to lose it. I made it for Thanksgiving that year and this past Thanksgiving as well. The cloves give off the most wonderful spicy smell so I like to make this before I start cooking any other holiday dishes - it's definitely a holiday mood enhancer.
Ingredients:
- 2 bags cranberries
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystalized ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Directions:
- Put the cranberries, apple cider and brown sugar in a pot and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until the cranberries pop.
- Add the ginger, cloves and cider vinegar to the cranberries off heat.
This is a good make-ahead sauce .... one less thing to do while preparing a big holiday meal. It also freezes well - just thaw, give it a stir, and it's ready to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment