Saturday, April 28, 2012

Shrimp Slaw

This recipe has been in my file for 10 years so I'm not sure exactly where I originally found it. I've run into it on a couple of blogs with essentially the same ingredients. It's good, really good if you like slaw and shrimp ..... who would have thought that this combination would work, but it does. While you can make shrimp slaw any time of the year, it especially makes a nice summer side dish and it's a quick "something different" potluck dish.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I'm a Hellman's "snob" so I don't use anything else)
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • pepper to taste
  • 4 cups of cabbage, finely chopped or shredded (you can either buy a small head of cabbage & work on building up your arm muscles by chopping it yourself or you can buy the bags of pre-shredded cabbage. You still might have to do some chopping to get the cabbage as fine as you like it)
  • 1 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons of onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cups of cooked shrimp (you can use fresh, frozen & thawed, or canned - just make sure you drain & rinse it). You can use very small 'salad' shrimp or larger shrimp, your preference although I think the smaller ones work best with the other finely chopped ingredients.


Directions:
  1. Combine your dressing ingredients in a bowl, mix well & set aside (mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar & pepper).
  2. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, then add your mayonnaise mixture and stir until all the ingredients are coated with the dressing and well-blended.
  3. Refrigerate until well-chilled before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment