Corn pudding is a family favorite and it makes a frequent appearance at family gatherings, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas. During the spring and summer months, however, corn pudding tends to be on the "heavy" side so what recipe is out there for corn that is light and fresh? While looking for a cold corn 'salad', I stumbled across this one from Ina Garten, 'The Barefoot Contessa'. It had a ton of reviews and almost without fail the ratings were '5-star'. A common theme to the review comments was 'how could something with so few/simple ingredients turn out so good?'
Inspired by the great comments and personally liking the individual ingredients in the salad, I decided to debut it at a family dinner ..... and see what happened. I did make one major change to the recipe in that I had to use frozen corn (that I cooked) because I did not have fresh corn available and the recipe was also doubled. The result was perhaps 4-5 spoonfuls of Fresh Corn Salad left in the bowl - the salad was simply delicious and with folks taking second helpings, it quickly disappeared. Made with fresh corn .... perhaps even corn roasted on the grill .... wow! This recipe is a 'keeper' for sure and will be appearing again multiple times this summer.
The ingredients are corn, small-diced red onion, cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper & fresh basil.
Here's the link:
Fresh Corn Salad (Ina Garten - The Barefoot Contessa)
Cooking note:
Since I used frozen corn instead of fresh, what is the ratio of fresh/on-the-cob to frozen/by-the-cup? Depending on the size of the ear, I saw estimates from 3/4 cup to .93 cups. Hmmmm, .93? I wasn't about to try and figure that one out in corn kernals!! What I ended up using was about 1 cup per ear (a 'scant' cup - not packed, not exactly level with the top of the measuring cup). The recipe called for 5 ears, I used 5 cups. Since I doubled the recipe, I used 10 cups of frozen corn, doubled all the ingredients (including the red onion) and everything tasted fabulous.
It has been said that a Southern woman only needs three things to survive any social situation: a little black dress, a string of pearls, and a Smithfield ham. If you ever find yourself facing that “social situation”, this little blog is my contribution to weathering the storm, making a splash, or merely creating some 'comfort on a plate'. So .... find a recipe, grab a glass of wine, maybe a mint julep, or perhaps a cold sweet tea and head for the kitchen .... time's a wasting!
Monday, May 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment