One of the frequent spelling errors I tend to make is to hit the "k" instead of the "h" when spelling 'quiche', ending up with 'quicke'. Well, in this case, although a quiche, this recipe is also a definite quicke ..... quick and easy to throw together for a lunch or light supper. After having a leftover piece for breakfast, it's not so bad early in the morning, either! I'm kicking myself for not getting a picture of this quiche the other day when I made it, but it will be the main course for a church Circle luncheon that Oma is hostessing in June and I will definitely get pictures then and add them to this recipe (done!).
Ingredients:
- 1 frozen (9-inch) pastry/pie shell, thawed
- 2 cans (5 oz.) tuna, well drained, flaked
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz.)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (green & white parts)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Real Mayonnaise (I like Hellman's)
- 1/2 cup milk
Directions:
- Pierce pastry thoroughly with fork.
- Bake in 375 degree oven 10 minutes; remove.
- In a large bowl, toss together tuna, cheese and onions; spoon into pastry shell.
- In a small bowl, beat together remaining ingredients.
- Pour over cheese/tuna mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Cooking notes:
- The original recipe calls for one 7 oz. can of tuna. Tuna now comes in 5 oz. cans so I used two cans ..... works great.
- Shredded Swiss cheese can be hard to find - I usually buy a block and grate it myself.
- The pie crust will likely be too brown after 40 minutes in the oven - about half way through, put strips of foil on the crust or use 'crust protectors' that you can lay on the crust to keep it from browning/burning (see pic below if you don't know what I'm talking about - I don't know the official name for these things so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about, either .... therefore a picture is worth a thousand words!)
- Recipe says 1/2 pound lean ground beef (cooked & drained) can be substituted for the tuna - I would imagine ground turkey ( & perhaps even venison) would be a good option as well.
| You lay these aluminum strips on the pie crust & it keeps it from burning and no, I don't remember where I got them :-( |
No comments:
Post a Comment