Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fresh Apple Cake


The ancient apple tree at Cedar Hill (with Eva's tennis balls)
 


It is fall 'apple season' so what better than a fresh apple cake recipe. Today is Thursday and since last Saturday, we have made this cake three times! When I read the directions, I thought 'weird, very weird' .... who would think you would mix the apples and oil/egg mixture and then add the flour? Well, it works. This cake is mostly apples with a little batter to hold it together which is why it is so good. The directions say you can add walnuts if you wish - Oma added walnuts to cake #3 and in my opinion, the strong taste of the nuts overwhelmed the apples. Pecans might do better, but I doubt if I add nuts to this recipe in the future ..... it's just fine without them.

Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups finely chopped cooking apples (3 medium Granny Smiths are about right)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
     Vanilla ice cream
     Purchased caramel sauce

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan.
  • Peel apples before chopping if desired. In a large bowl, mix apples with 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; let stand 10 minutes.
  • In a medium bowl, stir flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  • Stir oil, egg and vanilla into apple mixture. Add flour mixture and stir just until all ingredients are moistened. Stir in nuts if desired. (Mixture will be stiff.)
  • Spread mixture in pan.
  • Bake 45 to 55 minutes until medium brown and apples are tender when pierced with a wooden pick. Cool slightly.
  • To serve, cut into squares and top with ice cream and caramel sauce.

Notes:
  1. I did peel the apples since Granny Smith peels are on the tough side.
  2. I mixed the oil, eggs & vanilla together first, then mixed with the apples.
  3. We found this cake to be just fine plain .... haven't tried it with ice cream or ice cream/caramel sauce yet, but I am sure that would be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment